WNDU-TV - ELKHART, Ind. (WNDU) - Cafeteria aides in Indiana helped cheer up an elementary student who was feeling a little down, and they were happy to help.
A few weeks ago Cindy Irons, the cafeteria manager at Woodland Elementary School in Elkhart, said a little girl asked to sit alone since she was having a bad day.
The lunchroom aides obliged, to an extent. Irons and other staff sat with and comforted the child.
"I sat there. I talked to her, just rested my hand on her shoulder just to let her know we cared," Irons explained.
A few days later, her teacher approached the cafeteria aides telling them they reached her, and she was a totally different child.
That same day, the girl won an award for her grades, but she was dejected: nobody from her family was able to attend the ceremony. But the lunchroom staff did.
"We took a group photo with her. She smiled; she laughed; she went on with her day," said Irons.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- 27-year-old man killed in shooting at Wichita bar
- University of Kansas fraternities end activities...
- NCAA Tournament puts Wichita on the map
- KU fans wear green with their red and blue for...
- 1 seriously injured in motorcycle crash