WARREN, Michigan (WDIV) -- Two students at Lincoln Elementary school in Warren were sickened Tuesday by doses of the supplement niacin, which they were told was candy.
School administrators say one student brought the supplement to school and told others it was candy.
Nicole Buss said her 8-year-old daughter, Kaitlin, called her to report she was feeling ill.
"She was just all red, her whole face, her legs. Her whole body was just red. I felt her, she felt hot, but she was shaking, she was itching," Buss said.
Kaitlin was one of two students who took the niacin, thinking it was candy.
A third student who was given the supplement tossed it in a trash can. School staffers recovered it and the school pharmacy confirmed it was niacin.
Nicole Buss said the episode was frightening.
"It was so scary. I was just shaking, I wanted to cry," Buss said.
Niacin can be prescribed in larger doses to help adults control cholesterol levels.
Large doses can bring on symptoms of flushing, which those Warren school children experienced.
They were briefly hospitalized but are back home feeling much better.
Warren police said charges are pending, but they did not indicate who might be charged.
The Warren school superintendent is not commenting on the matter.
Some kids will be receiving a hand-made wooden toy this holiday season thanks to Santa's elves at Fort Hays State University.
Make sure you keep you pet protected from the cold elements.
Wichita Shocker baseball is conducting an internal review of the program.
The FDA considers new drug for treatment of hepatitis C which is a major threat to baby boomer population.
Two Wichita police cars collided Friday afternoon while responding to call. It happened at 2nd and Broadway.
Wichita police arrested two men after 17 vehicle break-ins Thursday morning.
Being prepared and informed may help you to avoid the messy and often expensive issue of frozen pipes.