HAVANA (AP) — Seven people have died of poisoning after consuming black-market methyl alcohol and 41 others remained hospitalized, Cuban authorities said Wednesday.
A Health Ministry report read out on the state TV afternoon news said numerous people began showing up at Havana emergency rooms Monday exhibiting symptoms of “serious poisoning.”
They were determined to have consumed methyl alcohol, also called methanol or “wood alcohol.”
The substance is used in labs and research centers but is highly toxic for humans, potentially resulting in death or permanent health problems including blindness.
The Health Ministry said the victims bought the deadly booze from a black-market merchant who procured it from two pharmaceutical employees.
Eight of the 41 people still hospitalized were in serious condition.
The ministry urged anyone who may have consumed the alcohol and was experiencing symptoms such as nausea, headaches, vomiting or vision problems to seek urgent medical attention.
Although it is not common, Cuban authorities occasionally report incidents of mass poisonings from food or moonshine liquor obtained from illicit sources.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Some kids will be receiving a hand-made wooden toy this holiday season thanks to Santa's elves at Fort Hays State University.
Make sure you keep you pet protected from the cold elements.
Wichita Shocker baseball is conducting an internal review of the program.
The FDA considers new drug for treatment of hepatitis C which is a major threat to baby boomer population.
Two Wichita police cars collided Friday afternoon while responding to call. It happened at 2nd and Broadway.
Wichita police arrested two men after 17 vehicle break-ins Thursday morning.
Being prepared and informed may help you to avoid the messy and often expensive issue of frozen pipes.