WICHITA, Kansas - A fire that left a west Wichita home unlivable has been ruled accidental.
Fire crews were called to the house in the 1800 block of W. Irving around Midnight.
When they arrived, they found heavy flames coming up from the house's roof. They tried fighting the fire from the inside, but it was too hot and they had to pull back knocking it down from outside.
There were two people inside the home when the fire started. Two adults and two children were in a trailer just outside. Everyone got out of the house safely. An elderly person was taken to the hospital with a medical condition, but it wasn't related to the fire.
Unfortunately, two cats and a dog were stuck inside and were killed by the fire.
Investigators say the fire did $60,000 worth of damage to the home and another $30,000 to the contents.
The cause of the fire was traced back to an overloaded power strip in a bedroom.
After all the problems the city has faced this year, ranging from bidding problems in major projects to the near crisis with the water supply, Mayor Carl Brewer has officially pointed his finger at city staff. The culprit from his point …
Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management spokeswoman Keli Cain said Monday that the Medical Examiner reports that eight people have died from the wintry storm.
Some Pratt shelter dogs are getting a new lease on life with the help of students from Stafford High School.
Five people, including several students, had to be taken to the hospital after a school bus crash early Monday morning.
Daycare operator saves seven children after van bursts into flames.
The Kansas Bureau of Investigation says its third-highest administrator no longer works at the agency.
The recent winter storms are forcing the Hutchinson Salt Company to ramp up production.