WICHITA, Kansas -- A basement is destroyed after a lit candle gets knocked over and ignites a blaze.
Just before 11 Wednesday night, fire crews responded to reports of a house fire in the 7300 block of Dorsey St. and saw a heavy amount of smoke coming out the front door.
The two occupants of the home were already outside and said there was no one else inside.
When fire fighters entered the house, they found flames engulfing the basement. They were able to contain the fire before it spread to the rest of the house.
Upon investigating, they found that the fire started when a lit candle was tipped over.
"It's my understanding that someone had shut a door and the candle was close to the swinging path of the door," Says Stacey Wespi of the Wichita Fire Department. "It knocked the candle over when they shut the door."
Fire crews did check the rest of the house to make sure there wasn't anyone else inside.
No one was injured, but the fire did cause about $40,000 in damages.
The Sedgwick County DA will not pursue charges against any of the officers involved in the July standoff at a south Wichita apartment complex that resulted in the death of an attempted murder and robbery suspect. Officials also released …
A playroom in the pediatric wing of a Salina hospital became a playground for a thief as he walked out with an item worth close to a thousand dollars.
The Sedgwick County Sheriff's Department arrested three people Tuesday morning for the burglary of Westar substation.
Line cook at Missouri diner takes playing with food to a whole new level.
Message posted on a residence hall bulletin board is causing controversy at Indiana University.
Warning, the audio contains material that some web viewers may find disturbing.
A medical examiner has determined the death of a Missouri man in an Arrowhead Stadium parking lot during a Kansas City Chiefs game was a homicide.