LAWRENCE, Kansas (AP) - Those interested in joining the Lawrence Police Department could receive a $1,500 sign-on bonus if they speak fluent Spanish.
The city of Lawrence seeks to fill open positions at the Lawrence Police Department and encourages Spanish-speakers to apply. Those hired will be offered a $750 upon hire and a $750 bonus upon successful completion of training.
A spokesman for the police department said the desire to hire more Spanish-speaking officers is because of a growing population in Lawrence that speaks Spanish.
The Lawrence Journal-World (http://bit.ly/1CcpcVB ) reports law enforcement officials have cited the language barrier between Spanish-speaking witnesses and English-speaking investigators to helping slow the pace of an investigation into the November homicide of a Mexican immigrant.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- How police finally found the Austin bomber
- How a phone may have steered hunt for bomber
- Police release video of fatal crash by Uber...
- Trump: 'Crazy' Biden would go down crying if he...
- Toy company CEO leads effort to salvage part of...