WICHITA, Kansas -- An 8-year-old has learned the hard way that playing with gas and fire is a bad idea.
Emergency crews were called to the 2000 block of South Fieldcrest around 9:30 Wednesday night, after receiving word that fire works had burned the child.
When they arrived on scene, they searched the area and did not find any evidence of fireworks being used.
The 8-year-old's older sibling that originally told the story was interviewed again, and then came clean that the two kids were playing with gasoline and matches.
The lit gasoline had spilled on the younger child, causing 2nd and 3rd degree burns to the legs and stomach.
Police say there is no reason that this incident should ever be repeated.
"This is a big time for fireworks," says W.P.D Sgt. Kenneth Kimble. "People need to be careful when they are using fireworks. But in this instance these kids need to be closely supervised and there's no reason why they should have been handling gasoline, matches, or lighters."
The 8-year-old was taken to St. Francis for burn treatments. The 11-year-old was not injured.
Line cook at Missouri diner takes playing with food to a whole new level.
Message posted on a residence hall bulletin board is causing controversy at Indiana University.
Warning, the audio contains material that some web viewers may find disturbing.
A medical examiner has determined the death of a Missouri man in an Arrowhead Stadium parking lot during a Kansas City Chiefs game was a homicide.
Entombed at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean in an upended tugboat and dressed only in boxer shorts, Harrison Odjegba Okene begged God for a miracle.
"Fast & Furious" star Paul Walker was killed by impact and fire in a crash that occurred while he was a passenger in a Porsche driven by his friend, according to an autopsy released Wednesday.
A camel drops in on Wednesday morning's morning newscast at KFOR in Oklahoma City.