CLEVELAND (AP) — A plea deal could be in the works for a man charged with kidnapping three women and raping them in his Cleveland home for about a decade.
Several media outlets reported Thursday a deal has been offered to resolve the case against former school bus driver Ariel Castro, who faces a 977-count indictment and has pleaded not guilty.
The prosecutor’s office has declined to comment.
Defense attorney Jaye Schlachet (SLAH’-chet) tells The Associated Press offers and counteroffers can be expected in the plea negotiations confirmed previously. He has declined to specify if a definitive deal had been offered but says he expects to be in court on the matter Friday.
The sticking point has been whether the prosecutor would rule out the death penalty as demanded by the defense. The prosecutor has that issue under review.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
The students on the school bus were not injured.
The time seems to come each year when Operation Holiday finds itself in dire need of your help.
A family missing in the remote mountains of northern Nevada since Sunday has been found alive.
New survey finds many people are confused about how to fight the flu.
A woman in Georgia says she wants answers after an apparent prank in restroom left her with serious injuries.
Cameron Rodriguez of Southwestern College will be allowed to retain his winnings from a half-court shot during a National Basketball Association halftime promotion.
Bill Guy, Reno County Emergency Management Director, says Kansas Gas has spilled some mercaptan.