NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) — Officials in Newtown, Conn., say their school system was placed on lockdown briefly after someone implied a threat during a phone call to a school near the site of last year’s school shooting massacre.
Interim schools superintendent John Reed says the threat was made Monday afternoon in a call to Hawley Elementary School. Reed hasn’t released details but says no one was hurt.
Hawley is less than 2 miles from Sandy Hook Elementary School, where a gunman killed 20 first-graders and six educators in December. Newtown has increased school security since then.
Reed says police Chief Michael Kehoe and other officials responded to Hawley and joined officers stationed there to investigate. He says the chief requested the district-wide lockdown.
The lockdown ended when schools dismissed for the day. It caused busing delays throughout the district.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
While the House plans to vote on a short term extension to carry over till a permanent bill can be reached next session, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says that's not an option.
Bimbo Bakeries announced that it will close its bakery located at 2530 Southeast Drive in Wichita. The company employees 118 people.
Secretary Sebelius orders investigation into botched rollout.
The thefts occurred between 7000 North 143rd Street East and 3000 North 143rd Street East late Saturday and early Sunday.
The Kansas Supreme Court will hear arguments next week in the appeals of two brothers sentenced to death for murders committed in December 2000.
Massachusetts woman dies after being dragged for nearly half a mile by a bus.
KU coach, Bill Self, spoofs "Anchorman" in video