There are many tools that the KSN PinPoint Weather Center Meteorologists use to look at the weather. Computer-generated models, computer analyzed maps, weather balloons and wind profilers are just a few of these. Although many of these products are technical and require some special training to interpret, we thought that you might like to have access to some of the tools that we use to make the forecast, "behind the scenes."
We have also included some great resources for teachers, and a few weather sites we just can't resist!
General Weather Information
- National Weather Service Home
- National Weather Service Heat Information
- National Weather Service warnings and more!
- The NWS at Wichita is on the WWW!
- The NWS at Dodge City is on the WWW!
- The NWS at Goodland is on the WWW!
- The NWS at Hastings, NE, is on the WWW!
- The NWS at Topeka is on the WWW!
- National Weather Service products of all kinds
- All kinds of weather information from the Univ. of Michigan!
- NWS Meteorology Resources
- NOAA WEATHER RADIO County by County Coverage
- Space Weather Now
Weather Gadgets and Gizmos
- DaveFreeman.tv - Cool weather mugs, mousepads and more!
- Weather Shop - Cool software, gadgets and weather stations
Weather Records and Statistics
- National Weather Service Almanac (highs, lows and rainfall)
- Weather records and data from the National Climatic Data Center
Computer Models and Advanced Sites
- The Map Room from the Climate Diagnostics Center
- Computer model maps from the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Computer model output from Ohio State University
- More weather resources from the Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
- Is it El Nino or La Nina? Find out the latest here!
- An Education in Heating & Air Conditioning: Heat Wave Dangers
- Hunt for the Supertwister - Using computer simulations to understand tornado formation at the University of Illinois
- Excellent Lightning Safety Information from the U.S. Air Force
- NOAA's Storm Watch - track storms through various NOAA weather web sites
- NOAA's Drought Information Center
- Tornado FAQs from the Storm Prediction Center
- The Tornado Project
- Tornado Tracks Mapped - Every tornado path since 1950 plotted on high resolution NASA maps
- Severe Weather Spotters Guide and more from the University of Illinois
- Track River Flood Conditions! - another link
- Check Land Areas Affected by Forest and Wild Fires
- Glossary of weather terms
- Another Glossary of weather terms
- Barometric Pressure:
- EPA Sunwise School Program - This is a site where teachers can sign up for free classroom materials on UV radiation.
- Snow Crystals
- Learn About Severe Weather from the National Severe Storms Laboratory
- Sally Ride Club - for girls interested in science, math and technology
- NOAA Education - Great Links for Everyone
- Cloud Charts:
- Calculate Wind Chill on line!
- Introduction to Temperature--Great for Teachers and Students!
- Cool Metric Converter!
Learning About Planet Earth
- Pollen.com: Local pollen reports
- An Astronomical Way to track the Sun and Moon by the US Navy!
- Cool views of the planet Earth!
Conditions at Lakes and Reservoirs
The Sedgwick County DA will not pursue charges against any of the officers involved in the July standoff at a south Wichita apartment complex that resulted in the death of an attempted murder and robbery suspect. Officials also released …
A playroom in the pediatric wing of a Salina hospital became a playground for a thief as he walked out with an item worth close to a thousand dollars.
The Sedgwick County Sheriff's Department arrested three people Tuesday morning for the burglary of Westar substation.
Line cook at Missouri diner takes playing with food to a whole new level.
Message posted on a residence hall bulletin board is causing controversy at Indiana University.
Warning, the audio contains material that some web viewers may find disturbing.
A medical examiner has determined the death of a Missouri man in an Arrowhead Stadium parking lot during a Kansas City Chiefs game was a homicide.