Many doctors and staff have family connection to St. Jude

St Jude Dream Home

Keeping the lights on and all systems go is a big job at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. One the facility manager takes personally.

“Absolutely. Absolutely. I feel very connected to our mission,” said Terry Fletcher, St. Jude Facilities Manager 

That’s because Terry’s younger brother was treated here in 1994 for a rare form of bone cancer.  

“Everything was provided, all we had to worry about was getting Eugene healthy.”

Sadly, the 14-year-old boy did not survive, but Terry and his family are forever grateful for the care he received.

“If you were to pay for it out of your own pocket, it would be so expensive. I can’t even imagine paying those kinds of bills, and for that burden to be lifted, that’s the one thing a family doesn’t have to think about.”

So impressed with St. Jude, Terry dreamt of working at the energy plant after he got out of the Navy.

“Looked in, saw the pumps, the chillers, and I said, Hey, those are the stuff I work with every day. Maybe I could do it here sometime.”

He soon got that job, and now, 18 years later still carries his brother’s memory in the work he does each day.

“We provide the environment for the care to happen and for the research to happen,” said Fletcher. 

St. Jude has increased the survival rate for childhood cancers to over 80 percent, helping more kids get well and go home again. 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

3 Day Forecast

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather