Veteran Salute: Marine says enlisting was her best decision ever

Veteran Salute

A Marine, who was raised on a farm near South Haven, says enlisting in the service was the best decision she ever made.

Marge Cartmill says she always considered Marines to be hard-working, honest and square and that’s why she became one!

If I died tomorrow I’d say, ‘hooray’ and slide in sideways, Marine Marge Cartmill said.

Cartmill said she’s had a great life.

I was raised on a farm, with six brothers and sisters, Cartmill said.

On the farm, hard work was instilled.

My brother and I put up hay, we bucked bails, you know, we scooped all the grain. We didn’t have fancy augers like they do today, Cartmill said.

It would all be worth it, when she arrived at boot camp.

These women were falling down and fainting, and just having fits, and I was out there just happy as a lark, Cartmill said.

She said the Marines figured out quickly they had a thing or two to learn.

Here’s this Marine, very stiff, very proper, drill sergeant. He said line up against the bulkhead, and we laughed, because we didn’t know what a bulkhead was! That was about the last time we laughed for a while, Cartmill said.

She brought back far more than memories from her service, thanks to a trip to the infirmary.

I went down and got my shot, but he had manipulated to meet that way, he was sneaky, Cartmill said.

The Cartmills would go on to enjoy 59 years of marriage and many memories and shooting competitions along the way.

Our life has been full of really cool things, a lot of fun things, Cartmill said.

Fun things like moving to the country outside of Anthony, something her husband, who she considered a city boy, always wanted.

He didn’t understand how much work it was on a farm. He soon found out., Cartmill said.

She enjoys more coffee sipping than working these days here on the farm, a place she says you will always see Old Glory fly.

Cartmill remembers well what it was like when the flag was raised each day during her time in service.

Just talking about it, makes me just well up, everybody needs that patriotism, Cartmill said.

Cartmill told me a funny story about one Colonel.

She said he would bring his dog with him every day, and if you wanted to get in good with the company commander, you had to bring his dog, Mary, fresh water or give her a pat on the head.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the KSN News App and stay up-to-date wherever you are. You can even watch KSN News live for free!
Click here to get the app
Get it in the App store
Get it in the Google Play store

3 Day Forecast

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather

Trending Stories