In the summer of 1957, a group of Reno County citizens gathered together in the Hutchinson Public Library to gauge the viability of securing a shelter for children who were suddenly without a home. With the help of many individuals and organizations, a home was formally opened on September 10, 1958.
The house was donated by the Hutchinson Mothers Club. The shelter’s mission is to provide a safe, secure, loving environment to children removed from their homes through no fault of their own. The shelter is a large two story residence. The furnishings and daily routine provide a comfortable homelike setting for the children. The home has a fenced backyard and playground equipment.
The location of the home is intentionally kept confidential. The shelter is licensed by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE). A KDHE representative visits and evaluates the home on an annual basis. KDHE sets the general standards for sanitation, equipment, admission, medical requirements, staffing, and gives counsel to the board of directors, administrator, and staff.
The shelter is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization under the direction of the Board of Directors. The Administrator manages the daily business of the shelter under the supervision of the Board of Directors and Executive Director. Please reach out if you are able to donate or support through donations. Visit their Facebook Page for more information.