Chef Pena joined us in the #GDK Kitchen for a cooking segment featuring one of the recipes students learn while attending culinary school at Butler. We made the recipe and method behind the Almond Biscotti. See below for the full recipe!
Yields about 48 biscotti’s
115g Whole almonds
255g all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
55g unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
- Toast almonds on baking sheet at 350 degrees for 10 min. Let cool
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. Rub in the butter by hand until the mixture is very fine and powdery, and no pieces of butter remain visible. Add the cooled almonds.
- Combine egg, vanilla, and milk in a bowl and whisk to mix. Stir the liquid into the dough with a fork, continue to stir until the dough holds together. Turn the dough out on the work surface and knead lightly until smooth.
- Divide the dough into 2 pieces and roll each into a log about 12 inches long. Slide the logs onto a baking sheet lined with parchment and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes until risen and firm. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Cut the logs into ½ inch diagonal slices. Replace biscotti on a pan and bake again for about 15 minutes, until crisp.
For more information on the culinary arts program at Butler Community college reach out directly on their website, www.butlercc.edu