WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – The Wichita Fire Department said a woman was injured in a fire caused by smoking in bed.
The fire broke out at the Pinnacle Lofts and Apartments near Central and Waco around 4:15 p.m. Friday.
Crews found smoke coming from one apartment when they arrived. The fire was contained to a bedroom mattress and did not spread across the complex.
“We were able to locate a conscious victim in there,” said Capt. Jose Ocadiz, Wichita Fire Department. “She was transported to Via-Christi burn unit and she was later released upon evaluation.”
Other apartments did receive water damage from the sprinkler system. The fire caused about $6,000 in damage.
- ‘It’s heartbreaking’: Many come out to pay respects for 3-year-old KCK girl found dead
- Florida man accused of setting Catholic church on fire
- Taylor’s Forecast: Sunny until storms develop out west later today
- Wichita Black Lives Matter march interrupted by counter-protesters
- Crews respond to explosion, barn fire in Butler County