WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Northbound I-135, North of K-96, reopened early Thursday morning. A semi-truck with a tanker containing anhydrous ammonia overturned near the I-235 and I-135 junction just after 8:30 p.m. Wednesday night.
The Kansas Highway Patrol said the driver of the semi was trapped inside the vehicle following the incident. The driver was pulled from the semi and taken to an area hospital with serious injuries.
The cause of the incident is not yet known.
Northbound traffic on I-135 was closed over nine hours near K-96 as crews worked to clear the chemicals from the road.
Sedgwick County Fire District One asked residents near the scene to stay indoors following the incident. That has since been lifted. Residents may smell the leak, but there is no immediate harm to the area.
KSN News will have more information on this incident as the story develops.
- Dozens attend first ever Kansas City ‘rage yoga’ class, which includes cursing and alcohol
- Active search underway for Kamille “Cupcake” McKinney
- Mom’s viral Facebook post encourages blue Trick-or-Treat buckets for autism awareness
- Police arrest two teens after firing gun into northwest Wichita home
- GM and union reach tentative deal that could end strike