TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) – Top Kansas Republicans want to head off any push for an abortion ban in the state even as they make overturning a Kansas Supreme Court ruling that protects abortion rights a top priority.
The GOP-controlled Legislature expects to consider a proposed amendment to the Kansas Constitution during the annual 90-day lawmaking session that starts Monday.
It’s a response to the high court’s ruling in April that the state’s Bill of Rights makes access to abortion a fundamental right.
Abortion opponents are being pragmatic. They worry that even if a ban could get through the Legislature, it would fail in the required statewide vote afterward.
- High School Football: St. James Academy vs. Arkansas City, November 27, 2020
- Husband battles brain surgery and COVID-19, the couple reunited days before 50th wedding anniversary
- Price’s Pressure Points: Storm skirts by south!
- Segundos cheques de estímulo: Así es como Biden podría intentar impulsar la economía
- Wichita State Lady Shockers Cruise in Season Opener, 78-58