WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Wichita police released new details in a weekend homicide.
The homicide occurred Sunday around 3:20 a.m. in the 2300 block of North Woodlawn.
According to police, two groups of people exchanged gunfire in the parking lot of the apartment complex.
When police arrived, they found 22-year-old Elbert Costello, Jr. dead from multiple gunshot wounds.
Another 24-year-old man was transported to the hospital by a private car. He had several gunshot wounds and was listed in serious condition.
The shooting was not a random incident, and it is believed to be gang-related.
Police said it is the 19th homicide of the year in Wichita.
If anyone has information on the shooting, they are encouraged to call WPD investigations at (316) 268-4407 or they can call an anonymous tip in through Crime Stoppers at (316) 267-2111.
Also, if you aren’t comfortable calling police, there is another hotline community members want to remind you of. It is (316) 519-2282 and is staffed by a community member.
“I want to make an appeal to our community. It’s time out for this senseless killing of our children. So, I want to make a direct appeal to the family members or any community members, if you see something, or heard something, know something, say something,” said Pastor Roosevelt DeShazer, Progressive Missionary Baptist Church.
- Romney says he won’t block vote on Trump Supreme Court pick
- CDC warns Americans to ‘avoid’ trick-or-treating for Halloween
- Caught on Camera: Arkansas officer saves two-year-old boy choking on piece of candy
- What can Democrats do in response to Trump’s Supreme Court pick? These three scenarios are getting attention
- Poisonous mushrooms found in stomach of murdered Indiana man, court documents say