WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Wichita police pursued a stolen SUV Wednesday that was reported to have been involved in a robbery at Academy Sports on Maize Road. It started around 9:50 a.m.

Officers responded to the robbery at the store and learned the suspect walked out without paying for several items. An employee, who was near the suspect’s vehicle, made contact but was threatened with a knife.

“The male suspect loaded his car up with the items that he stole, and he left the scene,” said Lt. Chris Marceau, Wichita Police Department.

Officers later located the suspect vehicle, which set off a chase.

“They sat off on the house. They observed the male suspect bringing items into the house. The male suspect and another male left the house in the same vehicle, and officers attempted to stop that vehicle,” said Macreau.

The suspects fled in an SUV, which was later located, entering the southbound lanes of I-135 at 2nd Street North. Instead, it headed north in the wrong direction before exiting at 13th Street. The SUV headed east on 13th Street, where it lost control, struck a curb, and hit a building at Madison Street.

“The driver of the vehicle fled on foot, and officers were able to catch up to him and took him into custody,” said Marceau.

The other man inside the vehicle, who was believed to be the same suspect in the Academy Sports robbery, was also arrested.

The SUV that the two were in is believed to be a rental vehicle that was stolen.

Neighbors in the area where the suspect was unloading the stolen items said they are grateful no one was injured.

“I was kind of concerned about the neighbor really–making sure she was okay and hoping that everything was alright over there,” Ronald Hunter, who lives in the area said. “I was concerned about a situation like that happening this close in our neighborhood.”

KSN News talked to the owner of the building where the chase ended. He is also thankful that no one was injured and that the building was not severely damaged.

Another crash occurred at 13th and Grove at the same time. However, police said the pursuit did not cause it.