WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Wichita police took a 33-year-old suspect in two sex assault cases into custody after an hours-long standoff at an apartment complex at Harry and Webb.
Police identified the suspect as Patrick Newborn.
One of the assaults happened in this last weekend the 700 block of South Pershing and another happened last month on East Boston Street.
“As officers were trying to pick him up tonight at an apartment, he produced a handgun and threatened to shoot the officers,” said Wichita Police Chief Gordon Ramsay.
The SWAT team and negotiators were called in. After seven hours, Newborn was taken custody. The police department said they used distance and communication to end the situation peacefully.
“Unfortunately, the communication techniques were unsuccessful, and we utilized some different techniques, and he did exit the home, did exit the apartment, and was taken into custody and he did exit on his own and was non-injured,” said officer Charley Davidson, Wichita Police Department spokesman.
Newborn was booked into jail on suspicion of rape, aggravated criminal sodomy, robbery, criminal possession of a firearm, kidnapping, and failure to comply.
Newborn had an outstanding warrant and was an absconder through the Kansas Department of Corrections.
- Newsfeed Now: A historic Inauguration Day, 10-year-old CEO becomes best-selling author
- 10 things more likely than winning the huge Powerball, Mega Millions jackpots
- $1 million Mega Millions ticket sold in south-central Kansas
- 1 person escapes Hutchinson house fire
- Ex-boyfriend of deported Russian agent pardoned by Trump