LARNED, Kan. (KSNW) – A 52-year-old minimum-custody inmate who walked away from Larned Correctional Mental Health Facility Sunday was apprehended around 7:25 p.m.
Authorities say Ronald Smith, 52, was reported missing around 8:05 a.m. when he couldn’t be located at his work assignment at the Larned State Hospital.
After hours of searching, authorities with the Kansas Department of Corrections, Kansas Highway Patrol, Pawnee County Sheriff, Stafford County Sheriff, and Larned State Hospital Security apprehended Smith.
Smith is serving a sentence for a 2018 Reno County conviction for possession of opiates, opium, narcotic drugs, flee or elude LEO with five or more moving violations, theft, and burglary.
- Korn Ferry Tour golfers prepare for heat, record-breaking crowds ahead of Wichita Open
- Beating the heat: Wichitans brave high temps
- As the temperature rises, so does crime
- Veteran Salute: Navy Corpsman says his job was to keep them alive
- KSN Storm Track 3 Digital Extra: Triple digit heat ahead of yearly average, hottest still to come Thursday