WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Wichita police identified the victim and announced they made an arrest in a fatal shooting in southeast Wichita. It happened Wednesday around 5:40 p.m. in the 1500 block of South Battin.
Police found the victim, 22-year-old Amare Holt of Wichita, with multiple gunshot wounds.
Police said they arrested 18-year-old Rina Nguyen of Wichita on suspicion of first-degree murder and criminal discharge of a firearm.
During the investigation, police learned that Nguyen, Holt and another 17-year-old girl were at the home when an argument broke out.
“During this argument, Rina Nguyen pulled out a handgun and fired at Holt as he walking out the front door, striking him multiple times,” said Lt. Jeff Gilmore, Wichita Police Department.
Holt was transported to a local hospital where he later died of his injuries.
After the shooting, police said Nguyen fled the home and later returned. She was arrested.
Police said the two were a couple, and there was a documented domestic violence case between the two in December.
It is the eighth homicide of the year in Wichita. The case will be presented to the Sedgwick County District Attorney’s Office.
During the shooting, shots also struck a nearby occupied home. No one was injured.
- Business owner hoping to reduce speed limit to expand seating closer to the street, join Open Air ICT
- School supply drive at Pigtails and Crewcuts kids salon
- Kansas officials address concerns about voting by mail
- Teachman’s Take: Evening severe storms, less heat and humidity this weekend
- Blue-green algae advisories remain in effect for many Kansas lakes