WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – The Wichita Police Department arrested 35-year-old Steven Speakman on suspicion of first-degree murder.
Police said they responded to a fight in a Dillons parking lot in the 2200 block of North Rock Road, Wednesday Aug. 21, around 2 a.m.
Officers located 33-year-old Haley Collins of Bel Aire unconscious with critical injuries. Collins was transported to the hospital.
“The investigation revealed an argument ensued between acquaintances, Speakman and Collins, when Speakman physically battered Collins causing his life-threatening injuries. On Thursday, Collins died from his injuries,” said officer Charley Davidson, Wichita Police Department spokesman.
The investigation is ongoing and will be presented to the Sedgwick County District Attorney’s Office.
Police said Collin’s death is the 21st homicide of 2019.
LOCATION: FIGHT LOCATION
- More parents considering homeschooling amid pandemic
- Teachman’s Take: Wednesday sizzles, storms develop to the north by evening
- Rescue crews responding to a drowning call in southeast Wichita
- City of Wichita still plans to have youth football, coaches weigh in
- Wichita pool renamed after award-winning architect