WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Wichita police said a man was found dead after being shot multiple times at a southeast Wichita park.
The call came in shortly after 1 p.m. Sunday after a 39-year-old male passerby discovered the body at a park bench in Planeview Park.
Initial reports mentioned possible stab wounds to the body, but on Monday, police confirmed the man was shot. He has been identified as 42-year-old Manuel Vargas-Avila of Wichita. Police said a disturbance ensued between multiple people sometime late Saturday into early Sunday when Vargas-Avila was shot.
Police said the homicide is the 26th of the year in Wichita.
If anyone has information on the homicide, they are asked to call the homicide section at (316) 268-4407, See Something, Say Something Hotline at (316) 519-2282, or Crime Stoppers at (316) 267-2111.
- Mann, Barnett win primaries in Kansas’ 1st District
- KSN Political Analyst Jeff Jarman analyzes the Senate race in our state
- Adkins wins Republican primary in Kansas 3rd
- American Royal cancels this year’s World Series of Barbecue
- Two Sedgwick County Commissioners vying for a second term