WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Police say they were called to south Wichita neighborhood Thursday to investigate reports of a man firing a shotgun outside a home.
The incident happened near Lewis and Pattie around 8:45 p.m.
Witnesses reported a man was experiencing a mental health crisis, standing outside his residence, yelling and firing a shotgun into the air.
Police say the officers who went to check it out, found the man yelling and holding a shotgun and then going back inside his home.
A police spokesperson says officers utilized time, distance and communication to get the man to surrender. They took him into custody around 9:40 p.m.
When they searched inside his home, police say they found several handguns, a shotgun and a black powder rifle.
Police booked him on suspicion of criminal discharge of a firearm.
They plan to present the case to the Wichita prosecutor’s office.
LOCATION: SHOTS FIRED
- Authorities investigating a deadly shooting in Osborne
- Newsfeed Now: Tracking Isaias; Stimulus negotiations continue
- Saint Louis Zoo’s elephant calf dies 27 days after birth
- Burger King worker shot, killed after dispute over long line in drive-thru
- Pandemic parody of ‘Goodnight Moon’ to be released in fall