WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — A Wichita man is in stable condition after officers shot him Tuesday night. Police say he shot at them first.

An officer was patrolling his beat in the 4200 block of East Boston when he noticed a Chevy Tahoe drive by him. Police say the officer recognized it as one that was used in a couple of weekend crimes.

  • On Saturday, police say the Mulvane officers had tried to pull the vehicle over and it sped away from them. During a chase, they say the driver fired four shots at the officers. They were not injured.
  • On Sunday, the Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office also got into a chase with the vehicle. The driver got away both times

When the Wichita police officer saw the vehicle at 10:33 Tuesday night, he tried to pull it over in the 4400 block of East Harry. Police say the driver refused to stop and started to speed away.

Other officers joined the chase that lasted about 7 minutes in the Hilltop neighborhood. The chase reached speeds of 60- to 70- miles an hour.

At 10:40, officers reported the suspect drove off the road and pulled into a backyard in the 4400 block of East Bayley.

Wichita police say this image reflects where the suspect’s car stopped behind a home on Bayley and the suspect fired a shot. The five pink dots represent where the officers were standing at the time. (Courtesy Wichita Police Department)

In a matter of seconds, police say the driver pulled out a gun and fired a shot at the officers. The bullet hit a home behind the officers.

By that time, five officers were on the scene. Police say those officers returned fire and hit the suspect four to five times, in the leg, hand, shoulder and arm.

By 10:41, officers began life-saving measures, including the use of tourniquets to control his bleeding.

Police say the suspect’s gun was stolen from a Sedgwick County residence in September, 2020. (Photo courtesy Wichita Police Department)

The man is currently listed in stable condition at a Wichita hospital. Police are not releasing his name. They say he has an extensive criminal record, including previous police chases and shooting at officers. He had been out on parole.

Police say officers are with the suspect and will book him into jail when he is released from the hospital.

According to police, the suspect’s gun had been stolen from a Sedgwick County residence in September.

The Wichita Police Department says the case is still under investigation and will be presented to the district attorney’s office. Police say the Kansas Bureau of Investigation will also help with the investigation in order to provide transparency and accountability.

The five officers involved in the shooting are on paid administrative leave which is standard protocol. Their tenure with the police department ranges from nine months to seven years.