WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Wichita police said 40-year-old Charles Cunningham of Wichita died after a shooting in the 4400 block of East Bayley.
At approximately 4 a.m. Friday, officers responded to a shooting at a home on Bayley. Officers arrived and located shell casings and two handguns.
Cunningham was transported by vehicle to a Wichita hospital with a gunshot wound.
Witnesses told police that they heard arguing prior to hearing gunshots.
On Friday afternoon, police said in a media release that they arrested 26-year-old Dalton Patterson on suspicion of methamphetamine possession with the intent to sell, stemming from the shooting. Police said Cunningham and his 42-year-old brother went to the home on Bayley after an ongoing fight. At the home, police said Cunningham physically attacked Patterson, and Patterson fired a shot that struck Cunningham killing him.
The investigation is ongoing, and it will be presented to the Sedgwick County District Attorney’s Office.
- Here’s what 2020 did to the list of most popular baby names
- How states are planning for coronavirus vaccine distribution
- On Ronelle’s Radar: Warm front improves temps, another chill late week follows
- 1 dead in Newton house fire
- KBI agents put to the test handling three officer-involved shootings in days