WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – The body of a missing 29-year-old swimmer has been found at Lake Afton according to officials with the Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office
On Saturday around 1 p.m., deputies responded to Lake Afton for a possible drowning. Deputies arrived and learned Zachariah Shepherd attempted to swim across the lake. He was last seen around 2 a.m.
Officials attempted to locate Shepherd but were not successful. On Sunday at approximately 1:20 p.m., Shepherd was recovered from the lake. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
“The fire department came out,” said Captain Marry Mattingly. “We were notified roughly at 1:45 p.m. that they had a body.”
Although the death of Shepherd is still under investigation, the sheriff’s office said it does not appear to be suspicious.
A family has established a GoFundMe account.
- Biden, Harris make first appearance as running mates
- Virginia lawmaker looks to include telehealth funding in next COVID-19 relief package
- ‘She’s up to the task’: Democrats excited about Kamala Harris joining Joe Biden on 2020 ticket
- Teachman’s Take: Another round of storms tonight into Thursday, some strong
- Local K-State football player prepares to take the field in the spring