Barre, N.Y. (Nexstar) — Residents of a small town in upstate New York have two questions on their minds: How did a giant safe end up in the middle of a farmer’s field and what could be inside?
“It could be holding millions of dollars. It could have confetti in there,” said Cindy Vanlieshout, of the Barre Betterment Committee. “You have no idea.”
Locals and authorities alike have tried — and failed — to crack the safe.
“They took a sledgehammer to it, knocked off the dial and handle,” said Mathes. “They worked on the hinges, kind of beat it up.”
Mathes, who was out of town when the safe was discovered in his field, said he doesn’t know who left it there. But he now plans to hide it, saying it’s more fun to leave it locked.
“If you open it, the show’s over,” he said. “In these times, with the virus and the politics, it might give people a chance to set their problems or troubles aside and have a lot of fun talking about it.”
- K-9 chases down Liberal couple who police say robbed Topeka Jimmy John’s
- More products added to FDA hand sanitizer recall list
- Kansas Capitol meditation room moved to create staff space
- Tiny airborne particles may pose a big coronavirus problem
- Amazon Prime Day: 7 deals to watch for in 2020