According to the City of Kannapolis, Sgt. Dot Cole is the oldest living Marine.
She joined the Marine Corps during World War II in 1943.
Sgt. Cole completed her training at Camp Lejeune and was then stationed at Quantico. City officials say she primarily served in an administrative role.
Last month, another North Carolina woman celebrated a monumental birthday. Hester Ford turned 116, making her the oldest living person in the United States.
- President Joe Biden releases statement on authorization of COVID-19 vaccine
- Crews battle large duplex fire in Bel Aire
- Motorcyclist leads California Highway Patrol on Interstate 5 chase reaching speeds of 120 mph
- Second woman accuses Governor Cuomo of sexual harassment
- Storm Track 3 Forecast: Seasonable wrap up to the weekend, mild air holds steady into early March