Wichita, Kan (KNSW)- Former Fontana City Treasurer Deborah Sell, 56, pleaded guilty for embezzlement Monday afternoon.
According to a news release, Sell pleaded guilty to one count of wire fraud and one count of filing a false tax return.
In today’s hearing prosecutors told the courtroom Sell embezzled more than $174,000, and admitted that her 2016 tax return failed to report more than $94,000 in income embezzled that year.
According to the news release Sell reportedly issued city checks to pay for her personal expenses, deposited cash payments received from customers into her personal account, and withdrew cash using a city debit card for personal expenses.
U.S. Attorney Stephen McAllister says Deborah Sell, will be serving a total of 12 months and a day in prison.
- Attorney confirms Vanessa Guillen remains positively identified
- T.J.’s Forecast: Isolated showers and storms possible through the evening
- Frederick Douglass statue removed at New York park
- Kanye West announces plans to run for president in 2020; gains support from Elon Musk, Mark Cuban
- $20 million funding opportunity to strengthen America’s water infrastructure