WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – The U.S. Department of Education released its official allocations Thursday for the newly passed Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act (CARES Act).
Wichita State University will receive nearly $8.8 million. Half of the funds – nearly $4.4 million – will be allocated as emergency financial aid grants to students.
The CARES Act provides institutions with discretion on how to award this emergency aid to students.
WSU will be working diligently to put together a plan on how to administer the student funds and use the remainder of the money.
“We’re incredibly appreciative to receive this critical financial assistance,” says Wichita State President Jay Golden. “We are studying the guidelines now to discover how best to use these funds for the benefit of our students and university.”
- Clubs in Old Town re-open after months of being closed
- Gallery: Protests over George Floyd’s death break out across nation
- Lake of the Ozarks pool partier tests positive for COVID-19; hundreds potentially exposed
- President Trump defends “looting” Tweets
- More than 3 million pieces of PPE distributed this month