WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – The City of Wichita announced Thursday that Brooks C&D Landfill will close Thursday at 2 p.m. due to a high wind warning issued by the National Weather Service.
In Wichita, winds already reached sustained speeds of 35 miles per hour at the landfill and are expected to increase to 45 mph with gusts up to 60 mph during late Thursday afternoon. Winds this strong can cause structural and property damage and create safety issues. The high wind warning is slated to expire overnight Thursday and the landfill is scheduled to reopen Friday, January 15, at 7:30 a.m.
Also, Sedgwick County Health Department announced via Twitter Thursday afternoon that due to extreme weather conditions, COVID-19 sampling sites including Holy Savior Catholic Academy, HealthCore ICT, and Wichita State Metroplex are being closed effective immediately due to safety reasons for the remainder of the day.
- Storm Track 3 Forecast: Breezy wrap up to the weekend
- Watch AFC Divisional Playoff: Baltimore Ravens at Buffalo Bills
- Police arrest man trying to enter D.C. security checkpoint with loaded gun, fake inauguration credentials
- President-elect Biden announces picks for science team as security tightens ahead of inauguration
- Crews battle house fire in east Wichita