Children escape when Christmas lights lead to roof fire

Kansas
christmas-18106_960_720_1545638027407.jpg

SHAWNEE, Kan. (AP) — Three children and their baby sitter escaped a fire at a Shawnee home that started when Christmas lights ignited leaves in a gutter.

The Kansas City Star reports the fire was reported about 2:30 p.m. Friday when lights ignited leaves and flames spread to wood shake shingles.

After hearing a crackling sound, one of the children looked out a window and saw the roof had caught fire.

The children, ages 4, 6 and 14, and their baby sitter escaped and called 911.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and were able to save the family’s Christmas tree and presents.

The fire caused about $40,000 in damage.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the KSN News App and stay up-to-date wherever you are. You can even watch KSN News live for free!
Click here to get the app
Get it in the App store
Get it in the Google Play store

3 Day Forecast

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather

Trending Stories