WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Some Sedgwick County detention deputies took Friday night off from duties for a good cause.
The detention deputies took more than a dozen children from Cooper and Oaklawn Elementary Schools shopping for Christmas. They say this is a way to help build secure connections.
“This really gives them a great opportunity to get out in the community and interact with these children and have a good positive relationship and hopefully last for years to come,” Captain Jared Schechter, Sedgwick County Sheriff’s office.
Wichita businessman Bill Warren donated the money for Friday’s event.
Shop with a Detention Deputy is a nationwide event, but this is the first year Sedgwick County participated.
- Racing community takes the wheel after a racer’s gear was stolen
- Carole Baskin booted from ‘Dancing with the Stars’
- House holds hearing on Paycheck Protection Program loan forgiveness
- Bodycam video shows the scene after the Breonna Taylor shooting
- Sentencing Tuesday for woman who decapitated ex-boyfriend’s mother