The Kansas Department of Health and Environment has issued an Emergency Order of Suspension to a day care home in Colby.
The KDHE has suspended Mighty Mites and Little Tikes. Kansas law allows the Secretary of KDHE to issue a suspension if the order is believed necessary to protect children from any potential threat to health or safety.
The order is subject to appeal.
In court documents released to KSN News, the KDHE says it received information relating to two separate incident occurring at the day care while children were in care on or about June 28, 2018 and July 12, 2018. Those incidents are being investigated.
According to a survey which was conducted in May of 2017, a number of compliance issues were found.
Some of the procedures that were found out of compliance include:
- Blind cords are accessible to children in the lower living room.
- Children are laying on a thin folded blanket that is around 1/4 inch thick.
- Four out of 11 children’s emergency medical release not complete.
- Sharp knives and pizza cutter in kitchen drawer.
- Emergency plans are not posted.
- Emergency plans are not developed for missing child, utility failure and chemical release.
- Dog in the area during meal prep and eating.
A full compliance history on Mighty Mites and Little Tikes can be found by searching for license No. 0048645 here.