A power outage at the Winfield Veterans Home has forced a temporary relocation of more than 100 veteran residents to Winfield High School.
The power outage happened after a transformer blew in a building separated from the Veterans Home. A generator was used to restore some power, however it was not enough to control the air conditioning or keep food cold and run call buttons.
According to the school, a partnership between Winfield High School and the Veterans Home has been in place for many years.
With assistance from Cowley County Emergency Management, Burden School District, volunteers and members of the Winfield High School staff, a variety of supplies were collected and placed at the school.
Cots, pillows and blankets have all been assembled at the school. The school says water will also be brought in by the American Red Cross, along with other needs the veterans may require.
Veterans were also taken to a few other locations, including different hospitals.
A spokesperson with the home said the problem should be fixed within the next couple of days.