WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Spirit AeroSystems announced Friday that it is laying off 450 more workers in Wichita, blaming the latest production-rate cut for Boeing’s 737 Max jets and the coronavirus pandemic’s negative effect on the airline industry.
Spirit said in a news release that the 737 MAX production rate reduction is the third this year, lowering Spirit’s production from 125 units to 72 units for 2020, a reduction of more than 80% from its 2019 production rates.
Spirit President and CEO Tom Gentile said “production rates for commercial aircraft have fallen from historic highs to significantly lower volumes in a matter of months.”
- Wife of Lions QB Stafford blames NFL for harassment after false positive COVID-19 test
- Isaias leaves 6 dead, millions without power
- Clorox wipes won’t be fully restocked in stores until 2021, says CEO
- Second stimulus checks: Sides hope to reach deal this week on package with $1,200 payments
- Worlds of Fun to close for season after Labor Day weekend, weeks ahead of schedule