Unattended candle likely the cause of Garden City house fire

Kansas
Fire Truck Lights, Fire

An early-morning house fire in Garden City did significant damage Friday.

According to authorities, emergency responders in Garden City were called to the report of a house fire around 5:30 a.m. It happened at a home in the 1100 block of E. Chestnut St. When they arrived, heavy flames were visible from the home.

Police say a 44-year-old man and his granddaughter were found outside of the home when they got to the scene. According to the man, he was at home with his granddaughter when he woke up to the sound of fire alarms ringing. 

He said the house was full of smoke but he was able to get to his granddaughter and get out safely. Neither suffered any injuries. 

Police say seven people live in the home and the American Red Cross was called in to assist the family. Approximately $69,000 in damage was done to the home. 

Authorities say they believe the fire was caused by an unattended candle that had been left burning. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the KSN News App and stay up-to-date wherever you are. You can even watch KSN News live for free!
Click here to get the app
Get it in the App store
Get it in the Google Play store

3 Day Forecast

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather

Trending Stories