Teen dies following apartment fire in west Wichita

Local

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) — A 17-year-old girl died from smoke inhalation after she was unable to escape a fire in west Wichita on Friday, said Jose Ocadiz from the Wichita Fire Department.

The fire broke out around Friday at 2:30 p.m. in the 3000 block of W. Newell Street.

Officials say the fire started in the kitchen after a burner was left on and a pan with grease caught fire. Firefighters found the girl unresponsive in her grandmother’s room.

She died later at a hospital. Officials estimate the fire caused $40,000 damage to the building and $20,000 damage to the contents.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the KSN News App and stay up-to-date wherever you are. You can even watch KSN News live for free!
Click here to get the app
Get it in the App store
Get it in the Google Play store

3 Day Forecast

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather

Trending Stories