OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (AP) – A 71-year-old man has been charged with striking and killing a 14-year-old girl as she walked home from her suburban Kansas City school last year.
Sudhir Gandhi, of Lenexa, Kansas, is jailed on $50,000 bond after he was charged Wednesday with reckless second-degree murder in the death of Alexandra Rumple.
Gandhi initially told investigators that his brakes failed in April before his car careened onto an Overland Park, Kansas, sidewalk, where it struck Rumple and narrowly missed three other children.
Rumple was an eighth-grader at a nearby middle school. Police say the car also hit a traffic light and wooden fencing.
- Fatal accident outside Cheney on Friday
- Taylor’s Forecast: High heat and strong winds, storms out west
- “We teach them to get along with everyone, even if they may look different from them”: How to talk to your kids about racism
- Hundreds gather together for candlelight vigil at WSU
- Kingman County crash claims life of Cheney man