ABILENE, Kan. (KSNW) – A first-grade student at St. Andrew’s Catholic School in Abilene died after being hit by Ford Focus Wednesday.
It happened on 2200 Avenue west of Jeep Road around 7 a.m. Dickinson County Sheriff Gareth Hoffman said the bus was on 2200 Avenue and had its flashing red lights on.
A teenager driving a Ford Focus struck 7-year-old Cecilia Graf while she was crossing 2200 Avenue to board the bus.
“Early indications are the appropriate equipment was activated, but the investigation is ongoing,” said Hoffman.
Graf was transported to Memorial Hospital in Abilene where she died.
“We will do our best to provide support and will continue to work through this most difficult situation together,” said Geoff Andrews, superintendent of schools for the Catholic Diocese of Salina. in a statement. “Please keep this child’s family in your prayers.”
The school has activated its crisis plan, and a team of counselors are available.
- Sedgwick County officials mulling changes at intersection after crash kills mother and four kids
- Health officer evaluating health order weekly, business owners hope for fewer restrictions
- Car crashes into bank near 31st and Seneca
- Teachman’s Take: Cooler and more Fall-like heading into Monday
- 1 person dead in accident in Phillips County