ANDOVER, Kan. (KSNW) – Andover Central High School students were evacuated due to a sodium chemical spill in a chemistry classroom on Friday morning.

The district said in a Facebook post that fire authorities urged the evacuation. All students were taken to Jaguar Stadium for about an hour and a half.

The district said the spill was cleaned up, and the building was cleared for re-entry around 11:25 a.m.

The principal sent the following to parents:

ACHS Families,

We want to thank you for your patience and understanding as we dealt with a sodium spill this morning around 9:30 in an ACHS science classroom. Because sodium can be combustible, we acted quickly to evacuate the building. Students and staff calmly relocated to Jaguar Stadium, where they stayed for about two hours. We got the all-clear from hazmat officials to re-enter around 11:25. We were fortunate it was a beautiful day out, and students cheered on Meadowlark Elementary students who were participating in their annual field day.

Three science classrooms remain sealed off at this time as crews complete the cleanup process. Those classes will be relocated to other rooms for the remainder of the day.

Amanda Grier
Principal