Apartment fire causes $750K in damage, determined to be unattended cooking

Local

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Wichita firefighters battled a two-alarm apartment fire in west Wichita Monday night. The fire broke out around 8 p.m. in the Colony West Apartments. The apartments are located northwest of Central and Ridge.

According to fire officials, the fire started after a stove was left on in one apartment. The fire quickly spread through wood paneling.

“During the firefighting, our crews were pretty aggressive trying to stop it from spreading to additional parts of the building,” said Battalion Chief Stuart Bevis, Wichita Fire Department.

Eight firefighters suffered minor injuries with burns and muscle pulls. Four were taken to hospital and released right away.

Another person who was near the scene of the fire was treated for a medical condition.

The Red Cross was called to help 21 victims.

Right now, officials estimate the fire caused $750,000 in damage to the structure and contents.


Get breaking news, weather and traffic on the go. Download our News App and our Weather App for your phone and tablet. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the KSN News App and stay up-to-date wherever you are. You can even watch KSN News live for free!
Click here to get the app
Get it in the App store
Get it in the Google Play store

3 Day Forecast

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather

Trending Stories