Carelessly discarded cigarette cause of apartment fire

Local
Crews_battle_apartment_fire_at_Raintree__1_20190426234612

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Wichita’s Fire Chief tells KSN that a carelessly discarged cigarette is the cause of that apartment fire that broke out Friday afternoon. 

The blaze started at the Raintree Apartments around 3 p.m. and quickly spread before crews finally got it under control.

Chief Tammy Snow said the cigarette was being smoked on a balcony and when it was discarded, it started the fire that eventually spread to the rest of the apartment building. 

A total of 28 people were displaced by the blaze but no one was injured. A damage estimate hasn’t been released. 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the KSN News App and stay up-to-date wherever you are. You can even watch KSN News live for free!
Click here to get the app
Get it in the App store
Get it in the Google Play store

3 Day Forecast

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather

Trending Stories