WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – The Wichita Fire Department battled a house fire in the 8700 block of E Lakeland Cir. The call came in just after 4:30 p.m. Saturday.
“They found a duplex with one side of duplex involved on fire. We had a pretty decent amount of fire and smoke showing,” said Wichita Fire Department Battalion Chief Michael Russell.
Russell said no one was inside the home. Two dogs were inside, and the fire department was able to get them out safely.
The Red Cross was called to help six people, including two on the other side of the duplex.
“Because the electric service was involved, where the fire was, it damaged the electric boxes to this duplex,” said Russell. “Everybody’s going to have to move out of this duplex until they can get that fixed.”
Russell said the fire caused significant damage in an area where the garage meets the house. He said they are still waiting for the investigator to determine where it began.
The battalion chief tells KSN that the homeowner was alerted of the fire through the smoke alarm.
“It was a really good reminder of why it’s so important to have a working smoke detector on every level of your house and make sure the batteries are changed on a regular basis and that they are working properly,” said Russell.