Unattended cooking cause of fire at south Wichita strip mall

Local

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – The Wichita Fire Department said unattended cooking was the cause of a fire that damaged a strip mall in the 2000 block of South Seneca Wednesday. It broke out around 2:30 p.m.

The Wichita Fire Department works to battle a fire Wednesday in the 2000 block of South Seneca. (KSN Photo)

Crews arrived to find fire in the back of the store and restaurant.

“As they started working on it, they found there was already fire in the attic space. Fire escalated very quickly because of that,” said Fire Marshal Stu Bevis, Wichita Fire Department.

Fire crews called a second alarm on the fire.

“Several of the doors were left open and that helped fuel the fire, making it bigger,” said Bevis.

Fire Marshal Bevis said part of the roof collapsed, but crews are safe. There were no injuries.

Damage is estimated to be around $400,000 to the structure and contents.

Seneca was blocked off as crews battled the fire.

LOCATION OF FIRE

ON SOCIAL MEDIA

LATEST STORIES:

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the KSN News App and stay up-to-date wherever you are. You can even watch KSN News live for free!
Click here to get the app
Get it in the App store
Get it in the Google Play store

3 Day Forecast

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather

Trending Stories