WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — Some Wichita workers had to evacuate from their building Tuesday afternoon because of a gas leak.
It happened around 1:30 near Murdock and Ohio.
“An operator of a piece of equipment hit a gas line, broke it off, so we had gas free-flowing into some buildings,” said Lt. Adam Aytes, Wichita Fire Department.
He says approximately 25 people had to leave the buildings in the area.
Josh Coiner with United Rentals was working nearby.
“Next thing I know, them employees from Hall came out and said we need to evacuate, that I guess somebody hit a main gas line,” he said.
Coiner said the gas leak was making a sound like high pressure air.
“It’s a severe leak,” he said. “It’s not like a little 1-inch line. I guess it’s almost a 2-inch line that they broke.”
The fire department says Black Hills Energy arrived quickly and fixed the problem. There were no injuries. Aytes said that people could reenter the buildings.