KANSAS CITY, Kan. (WDAF) – Kansas City, Kansas, police say a crossing guard died after being hit by a car while pushing children out of the way of an oncoming car near an elementary school.
The incident happened just before 8 a.m. along Leavenworth Road between 54th and 55th Streets.
Police spokesman Jonathon Westbrook says the guard was hit early Tuesday near the Christ the King Parish school. The guard was employed through the city. Government officials said in a news release witnesses reported the guard was hit while he was pushing children out of the way.
“He was doing his job, and he was struck,” Westbrook said. “Fortunately, no other children were struck at the time of the accident.”
No children were injured. Officials have not yet released the victim’s identity.
Westbrook said the driver who hit the crossing guard was also taken to a nearby hospital to be treated for injuries.
Investigators are working to determine what led up to the deadly incident.
- Final farewell: Friends & family organize touching tribute for dying cancer patient
- Coronavirus: Boosting your immune system
- Pro day cancellations forcing changes to NFL draft process
- Police search for teen who claims she will spread coronavirus
- Newsfeed Now Coronavirus: ‘Facts Not Fear’ morning update – April 6, 2020