TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) – The victim of a deadly hit-and-run in Topeka has been identified as a 41-year-old man.
Police said Tuesday that Emerson Downing was the person who was run over near the Soldier Trail in the northern part of the city.
Chad Thomas Cuevas is jailed on $1 million bond on suspicion of premeditated first-degree murder. He doesn’t have an attorney.
Witnesses reported hearing an argument Monday before Downing was struck. He died at a hospital.
Police said officers found the vehicle a short time later and took the driver in for questioning.
- ACLU seeks release of Kansas inmates vulnerable to COVID-19
- Great Bend Farm, Ranch, & Hemp Expo is now underway virtually
- Textron Aviation announces more furloughs
- Local non-essential businesses that stay open could be charged and face fines
- Wichita police arrest woman for allegedly hitting officer in stolen car